We take a comprehensive approach to helping our students develop life skills—from daily skills such as mobility, mealtime, dressing, personal care (including toileting when necessary), and household jobs—to more complex skills needed to successfully live independently, such as managing finances, meal planning and preparation, and recreational activities. Developing life skills is integrated into the curriculum and all activities. Our teachers collaborate closely with occupational, physical, and speech therapists.
Life Skills Apartment
The facility at Saint Catherine Academy includes a Life Skills Apartment with a renovated kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and washer/dryer. Activities in the apartment such as making the bed, setting the table, emptying the dishwasher, and preparing food give students the opportunity to learn and practice in an environment similar to home.
Life skills topics include:
- Personal care
- Recreation and leisure time—exercise, games, social interaction
- Community participation through activities such as grocery shopping, using the public library, and taking public transportation
- Money management—budgeting and banking
- Culinary skills—planning and preparing meals, appliance safety, and nutrition
- Housework and basic home maintenance
- Technology—using the telephone, internet, tablets and computers