The Life Skills program is a comprehensive approach toward allowing our students to maximize their independence in daily living skills including where necessary, toileting, mobility, mealtime, dressing, personal care and household jobs. We also address more complex skills needed to successfully live independently like managing finances, meal planning and preparation, and recreation activities. The instruction of these skill/activities is fully integrated in the curriculum at Saint Catherine Academy and into all activities. In collaboration with occupational, physical and speech therapists, our special education teachers focus on life skills that will move our students toward independence.
The facility at Saint Catherine Academy includes a Life Skills Apartment with a newly renovated kitchen, bedroom and bathroom and washer/dryer. Students are taught in the apartment which gives them the opportunity to learn and practice the skill in an environment similar to a home environment. This increases their ability to generalize the learned skill outside of school. The goal of the Life Skills Program is to assist the students in reaching the highest level of independence possible.
- Personal care
- Recreation and leisure time- exercise, games, social interaction
- Community participation through community awareness and activities such as grocery shopping, use of public library, public transportation
- Money management- budgeting and banking
- Culinary skills – planning and preparing meals, appliance safety and nutrition
- Housework and basic home maintenance
- Technology – use of the telephone, internet, tablets and computers